Saturday, December 8, 2007

My holiday Oct 07 - East Coast / Maritimes

October started with a few days in Toronto, where I caught up with a friend from Banff, went up the over-rated CN Tower and walked around the city and islands which I ended up liking. We also visited Niagara Falls, which was a bit of a disappointment after the years of build up, but was still interesting and we did stop by a winery on the way. Canadian ice wine is so sweet!
At the winery
At the top of Niagra Falls
From Maid of the Mist at the bottom of the falls
Niagra by night, with a light show
I then took the train to a small town in Quebec and stayed with a friend for the weekend. Her and her close friends spoke English, but not many other people in the town did and my school French was useless in slang-French Quebec. None the less I had a great time and really loved the Gaspésie area, particularly our Sunday afternoon walk in the countryside.
My friend Sophie in front of her house and our walk in the countryside, complete with umbrellas.
I then got back on the train to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where I jumped on a 6 day tour of the Maritimes.
My view from the train.
MARATIMES
I was about a week too late to see the trees in their full golden/red autumn glory, instead I got to see some of the golden/red canopy and golden/red on the ground as well which was just as nice.
A selection of the beaches
Halloween lead up everywhere! The Great Ocean Road equivalent - Cape Breton Island The Bay of Fundy with its massive 16m tides - we were there on low tide where these poor boats end up on the ocean floor Peggy's Cove, one of the first white settlements in Canada, and crappy weather that day.
Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island, on our way to Cavendish of 'Anne of Green Gables' fame
Random photos of the group and tour
End of Maratimes. From here I flew to Quebec City and Montreal ...... to be continued.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI!
Ahh, these pics look familiar!
I'm busy moving right now. I wanted to move all my stuff to the Hague last Saturday and be done with it, but my room was so %&%* dirty, unbelievable. so I ended up cleaning whole saturday....not really my favorite thing to do....
Enjoy Christmas time in Canada!!!!
irene

Fi said...

And you'll see some more familiar pics soon too (our picnic on the lawns outside Quebec City walls). Hope you get moved in and settled before xmas.
Fi