Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Banff life in winter

This blog is a whole lot of random images summarising the last few months of my life in and around Banff, in no particular order! If you can't read the sticker on the ski it says, "My life is better than your vacation". This ski was in the rental shop that I worked at for my winter part-time job. Unfortunately for me I'm no longer in Canada as I'm writing this which means it doesn't apply to me either anymore. Oh well! Me, hard at work below. It was a fun job and I got to take out whatever skis or board I wanted to on my days off which was awesome. The last snowfall I got to witness in Banff. This is looking left and right out the front door of the ski shop, down Banff's main street. (Another one of those 'busy' days at work) Drinks at an ice bar with Bernie and Scott for Scott's last night in Canada. The friendly barman got us quite drunk that night. I think he was just happy to have someone to talk to as everyone else was hidding inside in the warmth. The Aussie conection, Xavier Rudd in Banff. A bigger production than used to see him play in. He had a whole stage show going on, a support drummer and even an Aborigonal didge player to start the show off. Still good to listen to. I had technically finished work on this day but I 'gave up my day' to help with dessert selection for the new menu. Dedicated worker ey? One of our few 'chill' days - Kel, Josh and me playing scrabble in the local cafe. The social side of things. A fairytale themed friend's birthday (I have green ears and a crown... hint I was a character out of Shrek), a shuffle board competition night with the gang, a cheese and wine night, a girls night out and Kel and I having a night-in by the fire with a bottle of wine at Kel and Josh's place. This is where I lived for my last six months in Banff. I'm standing on the sports field that I looked out over every day from my window and saw heaps of elk digging up grass, and a few wolves wandering across as well. My building is behind me and behind that is the majestic Rundle Mountain. Our view from our lounge room window. I loved looking out over the mountains. ... and another view. These pics below are from the first decent snowfall in Banff. Overnight buildup on the jeep. Looking over the main street from the restaurant window. We watched the snow fall all night at work and those of us that had the next day off (me) got more and more excited about being able to ski/ride the next day. And it was a great day! The town the next morning. And the clean up begins - the snow sweeping crews at work. Someone had a lot of time on their hands. This was the river as it froze over a few weeks Until it was frozen enough to walk across. This was my path to and from town everyday. It freaked me out the first few times, but then I got used to it. The waterfalls and rivers as they froze. It was a pretty progression. Beautiful sunset over Mt Rundle, and no the red sky does not mean it's going to be warm the next day.

No comments: